Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Second Dresser Nightstand Finished!!

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download

Yesterday I finished the dresser! Click to read more about the lamps, headboard, and pillows

I started with this from craigslist for $15 - Annabelle isnt too sure about it ...


It wasnt in the best shape but David was able to fix the drawer by adding some wood where it had broken off

It also needed to be higher so that it was the same height as the other dresser - so the front curved piece was removed - I took it into Ace Hardware - they cut a straight piece to size and only charged me .50 (you cant buy much for .50 today!)

** note: typically you want the top of a nightstand to be about level with the top of the mattress  (~24"-28"). Ours are taller at 34"; however, we were in desperate need for more storage and got a great deal on both dressers, so we decided to go with it :)

I attached it with finishing nails and filled them with wood filler - I also filled in some of the dings at the same time


David built supports on the bottom out of left over 1 x 4s to attach the legs - which I also picked up at Ace for $2.99 each

The legs were screwed into place (we applied gorilla glue for added strength)

The whole piece was sanded to remove the protective coat - primed (I used a foam roller) and painted with SW Anew Gray Pro Classic Semi Gloss with XIM Extender - same as the writing desk chair - it took two top coats

I applied liming wax to the legs - same that I used on the writing desk

I love the finished look - I think it looks sooooo much better!

Check out this post to read about the dresser on the other side of the bed (which I will be painting the same color as this dresser)




One last before and after:



much much better!

After we install the light and figure out the artwork I will be moving onto the living room! 

--

Im pretty happy today ... we ordered a grill over the weekend and it is being delivered today! No more smelling people barbequing without eating any!


TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment